Video produced by the State Patrol
Providing safe and reliable transportation so students arrive to school ready to learn and achieve their dreams
The district's transportation department provides safe and reliable transportation by utilizing more than 220 school buses and minivans for more than 6,500 safe and efficient bus stops every day.
- Fifth-largest school district in Minnesota serving more than 20,000 students
- Vehicles travel more than 3.3 million miles annually
- More than 3,600 individual bus stops serving 35 school sites
- School bus is statistically the safest way for students to get to school
Family and student expectations
- Parents need to perform a self-assessment health screening of their children before sending them to school. A symptom check must be done to ensure a student does not have a cough, fever, chills, muscle aches, headaches, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, sore throat, or a new loss of taste or smell.
- If your student has these symptoms keep them home and inform your child’s school.
- All students should wash their hands prior to arriving at the school bus stop.
- All students will be required to wear an approved face mask while boarding and riding a school bus per Executive Order 20-81 unless there is a disability, medical condition or health condition that makes it difficult.
- Students and families should maintain a six-foot distance around all students while waiting at a bus stop.
- Avoid physical contact with other students at the bus stop.
- Be prepared to board and de-board the bus in an orderly fashion maintaining six feet social distancing.
- Members of the same household will be seated together.
- Buses will be run at 100% capacity and students will be spread out as much as possible. Please prepare your student that they will be required to follow a district issued seating chart while riding their assigned bus. This supports safety on the bus, COVID-19 tracing efforts of all students, and finally, capacity management.
- In the morning, students are to load from back to front. Unload at school from front to back. In the afternoon, students should board the bus and sit in the seat they were in for the morning. Passing by to get to the same seat is better than a different seat each time.
- Drivers will direct students in the seating process the first few days to maximize social distancing.
- Parents/guardians or their designee will pick up students who become ill at school and transport them home.
- All buses will be fully sanitized with EPA approved cleaning products at the end of each a.m. and p.m. route by our bus contractors. High contact areas such as handrails and the tops of seats will be sanitized by bus drivers between runs.
- Roof ventilation hatches and bus windows will be partially opened to provide fresh air circulation, when possible.
Safety precautions when arriving & departing at the schools
- All students should immediately exit the bus when dismissed and immediately head into the building to their assigned classrooms.
- Students should avoid all unnecessary congregation points at the front doors, entrances, hallways, and at locker spaces. Please go to your classrooms.
- All students should wash their hands upon arrival at the school and prior to leaving the school in the afternoon.
- Bus information will be posted in ParentVUE.
- Parents/guardians are encouraged to use our Bus Status tool to view when your students assigned bus may be running 10 mins or more behind.
After-school activity routes
- Students staying after for academics, tutoring or athletics must get a pass daily from the athletic secretary to ride.
Buses 200-299 & 500-699
Office Hours: 5 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Office Hours: 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Video produced by the MN Department of Public Safety & MN State Patrol
Looking for a school assignment or boundary map? Use our school locator to see which schools serve a specific address; learn if the address is eligible for transportation; and view attendance boundaries. You can also download printable boundary maps.
Use Bus Status on your computer, tablet or phone to check the on-time status of your student's bus.