Interested district residents are encouraged to apply for a temporary appointment to fill a board vacancy due to the resignation of a board member. The term of the appointment is September 29, 2020 until November 10, 2020 (after the canvassing of election results of Osseo Area Schools’ special election being held in conjunction with the November 3, 2020 general election). The individual who prevails in the special election to fill the vacant seat will take the oath of office at the regular meeting of the School Board on November 17, 2020.
Qualified candidates are persons who are eligible voters, are at least 21 years of age at the time they would be seated by appointment, have resided in the school district for at least 30 days at the time of application, and are otherwise allowed to hold the office.
Membership on the school board requires attendance at a variety of meetings held every month, as well as participation on committees and other assignments. Regular meetings are held monthly (typically the third Tuesday). Work sessions and negotiations strategy sessions are also held once or twice a month, respectively. Typically, members may devote anywhere from 20-40 hours per month studying issues, attending meetings, and communicating with residents. View the school board meeting schedule.
Following board screening, the top three applicants will be invited to address the school board on August 13, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. At that same meeting, the board is expected to identify the candidate of choice, with formal action for appointment to occur on August 25, 2020. Following a mandatory 30-day waiting period, the appointed candidate will take the oath of office and begin service on September 29.
How to apply (Note: the application deadline was July 24; applications are no longer being accepted)
- Apply online by completing and submitting the application
- Download, complete and return a printed copy of the application to the Educational Service Center. Please schedule an appointment with Sherri Lincoln, Election Clerk at 763-391-7003 or email@example.com to return the application.
- Pick up an application from the Educational Service Center, 11200 93rd Avenue North, Maple Grove, MN 55369. Please schedule an appointment with Sherri Lincoln to arrange for pick up; contact information noted above.
All applications must be received by the election clerk no later than Friday, July 24, 4:30 p.m. (postmarks not accepted).
Applicant information resources
- Guide to Serving as a School Board Member for Osseo Area Schools
- Running for School Board: It’s About Students (Minnesota School Boards Association)
- School Board Policy 203: Operation of the School Board – Bylaws
- School Board Policy 209: Board of Directors – School Board Standards
- School Board Meeting Schedule for 2020-2021
- Financing Education in Minnesota 2019-2020
Call 763-391-7003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org