A record 149 Osseo Area Schools students were named AP Scholars this year, more than tripling the number of students recognized six years ago.
Every year, the College Board recognizes high levels of achievement on Advanced Placement (AP) exams. All three comprehensive high schools in District 279 offer AP classes; Park Center Senior High offers both AP and college-level International Baccalaureate classes.
Using a 1-5 point scale, a score of 3 or higher on AP exams is considered eligible for credit by many colleges and universities. Osseo Area Schools AP students achieved a score of 3 or higher on a record 799 AP exams, which translates into college tuition savings of $2.4 million or more according to the College Board.
Six students earned National AP Scholar achievement, the highest AP honor, which is granted only to students who receive an average score of at least 4 on all AP exams taken and scores of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams. Lindsay Dreyer, Sofia Maltseva, Allen Miller, Sohan Phadke, and Kyle Schlicht from Maple Grove Senior and Emma Folke from Osseo Senior earned this designation.
Maple Grove and Osseo Senior Highs produced a combined:
- 149 AP Scholars - must earn a score of 3 or more on three or more AP exams
- 23 AP Scholars with Honor - must earn an average score of at least 3.25 on all AP exams taken and scores of 3 or higher on four or more AP exam
- 27 AP Scholars with Distinction - must earn an average score of at least 3.5 on all AP exams taken and scores of 3 or higher on five or more AP exams
In addition to demonstrating college-level achievement, many post-secondary schools will provide college credit for AP scores of 3 or higher, depending on the subject and institution. This can save students money in post-secondary tuition and offer more room in their schedules to explore different classes.
MAPLE GROVE SENIOR HIGH
- 414 students completed a total of 678 AP exams with 75 percent earning a score of 3 or higher
OSSEO SENIOR HIGH
- 304 students completed 410 AP exams with 67 percent earning a score of 3 or higher
PARK CENTER SENIOR HIGH
- 44 students completed 47 AP exams, with more than a third earning a score of 3 or higher
-Published Oct. 26, 2014