April 11, 2018: Board to pursue interim superintendent
At a special meeting on April 11, the Osseo School Board chose to pursue hiring an interim superintendent, having been unable to reach a strong level of support for any of the finalists that had been interviewed.
Board members approved a motion to halt any future search activity by the search firm, Ray and Associates, pending further direction, and to authorize the board chair and vice chair to work with the executive director of human resources on behalf of the board to identify candidates for consideration as interim superintendent.
April 10, 2018 (12:30 p.m. special meeting for finalist interviews; 7 p.m. special meeting for finalist presentations)
After interviewing the two finalists and hearing their public presentations on Tuesday, April 10, the Osseo School Board determined that it needed more time to review the feedback it has received about the finalists. Therefore, the board will meet again Wednesday, April 11, to work toward a decision on the next leader for the school district. The meeting will begin at 6 p.m.
The April 11 meeting is open to the public and will begin at 6 pm in the Board Room of the Educational Service Center, 11200 93rd Avenue North, Maple Grove.
April 3, 2018 (special meeting; watch the meeting)
The school board held a special meeting on Tuesday, April 3, 2018, to continue first-round interviews of superintendent finalists.
The board interviewed one finalist:
- Ms. Kelli Parpart
Members of the audience provided feedback that was reviewed by school board members individually.
At the conclusion of the meeting, Board Chair Mike Ostaffe announced that three finalists would advance to final-round interviews:
- Dr. Erick Pruitt
- Dr. Marc Schaffer
- Mr. James Harris
April 2, 2018 (special meeting; watch the meeting)
The school board held a special meeting on Monday, April 2, 2018, to conduct first-round interviews of superintendent finalists.
The board interviewed three finalists:
- Dr. Erick Pruitt
- Dr. Marc Schaffer
- Mr. James Harris
Members of the audience provided feedback on each finalist that was reviewed by school board members individually.
March 19, 2018 (special meeting; watch the meeting)
The school board held a special meeting on March 19, 2018, to continue its work in selecting a new superintendent. At the meeting, the board authorized the search firm of Ray and Associates to contact potential finalists to confirm their continued interest and availability for round 1 interviews, and to release confirmed candidate names to the public no earlier than 1 p.m. on March 20, 2018.
Six finalists will be invited to participate in first-round interviews on April 2nd and 3rd. The finalists are:
- Rupak Gandhi from Harrison District Two in Colorado Springs, Colorado (update 3/26/18: Mr. Gandhi has withdrawn from consideration)
- James Harris from Daniel Boone Area School District in Douglassville, Pennsylvania
- Krish Mohip from Youngstown City Schools in Youngstown, Ohio (update 3/29/18: Mr. Mohip has withdrawn from consideration)
- Kelli Parpart from Osseo Area Schools here in Maple Grove, Minnesota
- Erick Pruitt from Houston Independent School District in Houston, Texas, and
- Marc Schaffer from Boulder Valley School District in Boulder, Colorado
Interested community members can learn more about next steps on the district website in the special section for the superintendent search.
January 30, 2018 (public work session; watch the meeting)
The Osseo School Board provided direction on several aspects of the search for a new leader to succeed retiring Supt. Kate Maguire:
- The board agreed that the search firm can convey a salary range of $10,000 above or below the previously determined target salary of $210,000.
- After suggesting edits, the board directed the search firm to start using a brochure that includes a profile of the desired characteristics of the new superintendent.
- Board members determined an interview process for the finalists.
- Round 1 (April 2-3): approximately 6-7 finalists will be interviewed during evening meetings (open to the public and videotaped).
- Round 2 (April 10): approximately 2-3 finalists will return for a second interview held during the day (open to the public and videotaped), with public presentations by candidates in the evening.
January 9, 2018 (public work session; watch the meeting)
Search firm representatives facilitated a discussion regarding the salary range for the new superintendent. The board provided direction on a target salary amount of $210,000 that will be included in marketing materials for the position.
All staff, students, parents and guardians, and district residents are encouraged to provide input that will help the search firm create materials to market the superintendent position.
- An online survey that gathers perspectives about preferred superintendent qualities is available on the district website until 8 am, January 25.
- Three community meetings are being held to gather additional input. The January 10 meeting has already taken place, but two other opportunities remain: January 18, from 7-8:30 pm in the Maple Grove Senior High cafeteria, and January 24, from 7-8:30 pm in the Osseo Senior High cafeteria.
December 19, 2017 (public work session; watch the meeting)
Board members reviewed information provided by the search firm, Ray and Associates, regarding the search timeline and opportunities to advertise the position. Board members also reviewed superintendent salaries from benchmark school districts and provided direction on a community engagement/communication plan.
November 20, 2017 (public work session; watch the meeting)
Ray and Associates, Inc. met with the Osseo School Board to kick off its work to search for a new superintendent. Ray and Associates representative Craig Morris reviewed key elements of the search process and answered questions posed by board members.
November 16, 2017 (public work session; listen to the full audio recording)
Ray and Associates, Inc. was selected lead the search for the superintendent who will succeed Dr. Kate Maguire, who is retiring at the end of the school year.
Three search firms responded to the call for proposals. Company representatives were interviewed by the board, and Ray and Associates was chosen to lead the search for the district’s next leader.
October 17, 2017 (public work session; listen to full audio recording)
The Osseo School Board established a timeline for hiring a search firm whose overall responsibility will be to lead a process that results in the naming of a new superintendent by late April 2018. All meetings will be open to the public, audio recorded, and archived on the district website:
- November 14, 6 pm: Review proposals from potential search firms
- November 16, 6 pm: Interview search firms of interest
- November 20, 7 pm: Kick-off meeting with selected firm (this meeting will be video recorded)
October 3, 2017 (public work session; listen to full audio recording)
School board members began to identify the search process that will be used to select the next superintendent, following the retirement of Supt. Kate Maguire at the end of the school year. Board members created a plan to gather input from other metro area school boards that have gone through recent superintendent searches, with the goal of using the information to identify potential search firms and to inform the Osseo School Board's search process.
Three new work sessions were scheduled for the purpose of discussing the search process: Oct. 17 at 6 p.m.; Oct. 30 at 7 p.m.; and Nov. 20 at 7 p.m. The superintendent search was also added to the Nov. 14 work session agenda.
September 21, 2017 (announcement)
Supt. Kate Maguire announces intent to retire
After 33 years of service to students and families in Osseo Area Schools, Superintendent Kate Maguire announced her intent to retire at the end of the current school year on June 30, 2018.