To establish consistent meal account charging procedures throughout the school district.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF PROCEDURE
- Osseo Area Schools offers breakfast and lunch at all schools. Food & Nutrition Services strives to serve quality meals in an efficient and fiscally responsible manner.
- Osseo Area Schools recognizes the parent/guardian responsibility to provide meals for their children. Proper nutrition is essential for proper learning to take place.
- Students may purchase meals when funds have been deposited into their personal account, via cash, check or online payments.
- Families may apply for free/reduced price meals at any time during the school year. Applications are available online through the district website. Paper applications are also available at the district office and all school offices.
PROCEDURES FOR MINIMIZING UNPAID MEAL BALANCES
- The meal program is a pre-payment program. Families are expected to have a positive balance in their student’s meal account throughout the course of the school year, or have a current application for educational benefits completed prior to the start of the school year.
- A USDA-approved breakfast and lunch is available to all students. A meal will not be taken from a student, regardless of their ability to pay.
- If a meal account has sufficient funds, a la carte items may be available for purchase.
PROCEDURES FOR NOTIFYING FAMILIES OF UNPAID MEAL BALANCES
- Automated emails and phone calls are made on Wednesday of each week to families whose student(s) has a balance of $5.00 or less in their meal account and are not receiving free or reduced-price meals. Families may set up alerts and automatic payments to student accounts via their FeePay account.
- Students will be reminded by the school cashier of a low balance once the account has reached $5.00.
- Families will receive notification of their student’s unpaid account balance from school staff by phone, email or notes sent with their student.