Welcome to Gifted Education in Osseo Area Schools! We have a deep commitment to supporting all of our students as they grow and learn, and that commitment can certainly be seen in the way we support our gifted learners. Our commitment to student learning is driven by our district mission: to inspire and prepare all students with the confidence, courage and competence to achieve their dreams; contribute to community; and engage in a lifetime of learning. It is our hope that you find the answers to your questions on our website (see “Quick Links”), but if you are in need of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Beth Carpenter, Coordinator of Gifted Education Services (email@example.com, 763-391-7089).
The mission of the Osseo Area Schools’ Gifted Education program is to recognize and appropriately serve the academic, social and emotional needs of gifted students. Gifted students are those children and youth who demonstrate high performance or show the potential for high performance relative to others of their age, experience or environment.
Based on the work of our Gifted Education Steering Team (2008-2009), the following objectives were identified as key priorities for our gifted learners:
- Experience rigor and challenge daily in the instructional environment, matching student needs for rigorous instruction.
- Participate in activities designed to provide new learning and engagement in the learning process.
- Expand his or her understanding of how people learn, affective needs and personal strengths that contribute to making-meaning and problem-solving in a supportive environment.
- Develop the skills and habits of a lifelong learner.
We are strongly committed to creating an open, needs-oriented program that serves a broad range of gifted learners. Our program is flexible and inclusive, and highly responsive to the individual needs of our learners. Therefore, any student who demonstrates a need in the classroom could qualify for special pull-out lessons along with formally identified students. Our district-wide commitment to directly address the individual needs of our students through differentiated instruction is an important way for Osseo Area Schools to ensure that all gifted learners are challenged and engaged in the classroom.
The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Educational Research and Improvement has published an important study called National Excellence: A Case for Developing America’s Talent. This study makes a number of recommendations for improving education opportunities for America’s top students…and for all of America’s students. Many of the recommendations align with the Osseo Area Schools’ Gifted Education program and will continue to guide our work into the future:
- Broaden the definition of gifted
- Set challenging curriculum standards
- Provide more opportunities to learn
- Emphasize teacher development
- Provide a supportive, responsive learning environment
Back to Top