Emergency preparedness is vital to the protection of our students, staff and visitors. ISD 279-Osseo Area Schools has developed a comprehensive emergency plan with the help of local law enforcement, emergency management, and public health officials. Each school has customized the plan for its building. Fire drills, tornado drills, and lockdown exercises are held in all schools.
The district’s emergency plan is based on an “all-hazard” approach that incorporates five universal response actions. Universal response actions are standardized directives that can be implemented in a variety of emergency situations. When an emergency happens, the school principal or district administrator will implement one of the following response actions:
- Evacuation: All students and staff will exit the building. If the school grounds are not safe, students may be relocated to another site.
- Reverse Evacuation: All students and staff will move inside the building. Exterior doors and windows will be locked and public access to the school will be temporarily suspended.
- Severe Weather Shelter: All students and staff will be moved to designated shelter areas within the building. If severe weather strikes during dismissal, buses may be delayed.
- Shelter-in-Place: All students and staff will move inside the building. Windows will be closed and ventilation systems will be temporarily disabled to keep out contaminants.
- Lockdown: All students and staff will secure their areas by locking doors and windows. Public access to the school will be temporarily suspended.
When extenuating circumstances affect start or dismissal times, the School District will employ some or all of the following tools to inform parents:
- An automated phone message will be delivered to the telephone number(s) on file in the district’s information system. (Please inform your child’s school whenever you change your telephone number, e-mail address, or residential address so that we are able to contact you in emergency situations.)
- A notice will be posted on the district website, www.district279.org
- School closing announcements and other emergency school-related instructions will be broadcast on radio and TV. District-wide school closure will be broadcast as "Osseo District 279." We notify these radio and TV stations:
In the event of an emergency, we may need to contact you. It is extremely important to make sure that your emergency contact information at your school is current. This includes daytime phone numbers for parents and names of individuals who are authorized to pick up your children, if they must be released early. Children will be released only to their parents or the individuals authorized on the student’s emergency card.
It is not possible to outline all of the potential crisis events that could cause dismissal or disruption of the school day. Even though these events rarely occur, parents can be assured that the district has worked closely with its emergency partners, including police, fire and medical, to be prepared. Our plans are focused on protecting the health and safety of our students.
Unless it is absolutely necessary, please do not call the school with questions during an emergency. Our telephone lines must remain open for emergency communications. If you need further assistance, you may call the main district telephone number: 763-391-7000.